Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and Carolina Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey have teamed up with Visa to update the point-of-sale terminals of a few lucky Minneapolis small businesses. The two football stars stopped by the businesses, treating local fans to food and drinks by making purchases with their Visa contactless cards.
Each local merchant has received a state-of-the-art terminal that accepts contactless payments, allowing customers to make payments quickly and securely. Visa is providing the point-of-sale upgrades just in time for Super Bowl LII, when more than one million fans are expected to flock to Minneapolis.
Larry Fitzgerald also tried out a new sport: curling. The football star and honorary Team Visa athlete took to the curling sheet in the hopes of fulfilling his dream of becoming an Olympian. As a first step, Fitzgerald visited the Four Seasons Curling Club in Blaine, Minnesota, learning tips and tricks from some of the state’s best curlers.
Carolina Pathers running back Christian McCaffrey supported Larry at the club, surprising fans and treating them to free food with his contactless card.
1. Exteriors, Penny’s, Minneapolis, Minn.
2. Larry Fitzgerald greets customers and picks up their coffee tab
3. Larry Fitzgerald behind the coffee bar making a cappuccino.
4. Exteriors, Four Seasons Curling Club & Sticks & Stones, Blaine, Minn.
5. Curlers in action
6. Local Jr. Hockey team gets a big surprise from Christian McCaffrey
7. Christian McCaffrey takes food orders with mobile point of sale unit
8. Larry Fitzgerald attempts to curl
9. Larry Fitzgerald and Christian McCaffrey purchasing coffee from local merchant Misfits
10. Soundbite (English) Larry Fitzgerald, NFL Wide Receiver, Minneapolis native
“Well it makes me really proud. Super Bowl hasn’t been here since ’92 and to now come back and see the brand-new stadium and everything that the great city of Minneapolis offers and I’m really excited about it. I’m glad to be home to show the world what we’re all about here in Minnesota.”
11. Soundbite (English) Larry Fitzgerald, NFL Wide Receiver, Minneapolis native
“We’re here at Penny’s. This is not the only small business that’s being upgraded with the contactless technology. It’s wonderful for me to be here in my home state to see small businesses being able to give their customers what they need. It’s a great honor. Visa is giving this place a great opportunity and for me to be here is really special”.
12. Soundbite (English) Larry Fitzgerald, NFL Wide Receiver, Minneapolis native
“I'm a quick study. I was learning how to make different coffees and cappuccinos and espressos and it was fun.”
13. Soundbite (English) Larry Fitzgerald, NFL Wide Receiver, Minneapolis native
“I had so much fun doing those Visa ads. My teammates gave me a bad time about it. They told me I'm going Hollywood. But I told them don't worry, don’t worry. I'm still going to go out there do my job. You know, it was a wonderful time.”
14. Soundbite (English) Christian McCaffrey, NFL Running Back, Carolina Panthers
“I'm happy to be here Minneapolis with Visa and you know, got to introduce the new point of sale making sure they got the best products.”
15. Soundbite (English) Christian McCaffrey, NFL Running Back, Carolina Panthers
“That's exciting. I'm a huge hockey fan so it's kind of cool to be around some guys who play different sports. I mean you know I'm going to try to probably hit up their game tomorrow, see them get a "dub” (W).”
16. Soundbite (English) Christian McCaffrey, NFL Running Back, Carolina Panthers
“They just got out of hockey practice it was fun to show them you know the speed of a contactless card.”
17. Soundbite (English) Christian McCaffrey, NFL Running Back, Carolina Panthers
“I mean yeah there's definitely a lot that goes into it. You know a lot of scheme. You kind of never know what they're going to order. You never know what the defense is going to give you. You know it's very detailed and you kind of have to react based on what they do.”