London, Thursday 22nd November, 2018: The new enhanced Range Rover Evoque made its European debut at a star-studded red carpet event in London, joining the Range Rover family with a choice of hybrid-electric engines.
After becoming a leader in the luxury compact SUV market, winning more than 217 international awards and having global sales of over 772,096, the Evoque has returned after eight years, introducing to the segment never before seen standards of design, capability and sustainability.
British stars all came together for the launch, with Bodyguard star Richard Madden joining a host of famous faces on the red carpet, including Guy Ritchie, Taron Egerton, Luke Evans, Millie Mackintosh and Mollie King.
Demonstrating the responsibly-sourced materials that are featured in the car, British Supermodel and activist, Adwoa Aboah wore a specially commissioned dress designed by British designer Ashley Williams, which was crafted using the vehicle’s ‘suede cloth’ textile, derived from 40 recycled plastic bottles.
Adwoa Aboah, Activist and Model, said:
“This project has been fantastic to work on. I’m a huge fan of Range Rover and it’s been great to collaborate with a brand that is using responsibly-sourced materials. Working with so many on new trends and materials is a highlight of working in fashion so it’s been really interesting working with Ashley and use this suede material crafted from recycled plastics. Now more than ever it’s important to shine a light on the alternatives available, and the new Evoque is clearly influenced by the City and the people living in it.”
Building on the original instantly-recognisable design, the new Range Rover Evoque is a sophisticated evolution of the distinctive coupé-like silhouette, typified by its distinctive fast roofline and rising waist that identify the Range Rover family.
Gerry McGovern, Land Rover Chief Design Officer, said:
“When Range Rover Evoque made its debut back in 2010, it transformed the world of compact SUVs and the new model is set to continue that remarkable journey. This characterful vehicle combines refinement and fun to create that all important emotional reaction that will turn heads and make people smile.”
Inside, the finely crafted design integrates uncluttered surfaces and simple lines with carefully curated premium materials to create a luxurious, minimalist, digital cabin. Technical textiles that use recycled plastics are offered as premium alternatives to leather, such as a Kvadrat wool blend and Dinamica® suedecloth, as well as Eucalyptus and Ultrafabrics™ options. The cabin is designed to be a calm and serene space, ensuring comfortable, healthy and happy occupants, with technologies such as the twin touchscreen Touch Pro Duo system, featuring new, faster software, 16-way seat controls and cabin air ionisation that complement the increased interior space.
For this unique launch, Land Rover collaborated with a number of fashion and technology brands to bring the design, innovation and sustainability characteristics of the new Range Rover Evoque to life.
British luxury brand Mulberry reimagined sustainably-sourced Eucalyptus interior material of the new Range Rover Evoque into a concept luxury travel collection inspired by the SUV.
Premium audio company, New York-based Master and Dynamic, created two bespoke concept Range Rover Evoque x Master & Dynamic MW07 Wireless Earphones and the latest Zenith watch from the DEFY Classic collection was specially co-developed by design and technical engineering teams working in close harmony.
Fans can follow the story using #LiveFoTheCity or #HelloEvoque or by visiting www.liveforevoque.com
NOTES TO EDITOR
• The outstanding volume and proportions of the new Evoque are amplified by its pronounced shoulders and powerful wheelarches that, alongside 21-inch wheels, combine to create a strong and dynamic attitude.
• Sumptuous, sustainable materials fused with efficient hybrid-electric power – 48-volt MHEV; 3-cylinder PHEV; three- and four-cylinder Ingenium petrol and diesel engines.
• The footprint is almost identical, yet built on Land Rover’s new mixed-material Premium Transverse Architecture, there is more interior space than before. A longer wheelbase yields 20mm extra rear kneeroom and an increase in small item stowage – the larger glove box and centre cubby can now fit tablets, handbags and bottles with ease. The luggage space is 10 per cent larger (591 litres) as well as much wider and easily fits a folded pram or set of golf clubs, with space increasing to 1,383 litres when the flexible 40:20:40 second-row seats are folded.
• The new architecture has been developed for electrification, with a 48-volt mild-hybrid available at launch and a plug-in hybrid model offered around 12 months afterwards. The mild hybrid powertrain is a first for Land Rover and works by harvesting energy normally lost during deceleration thanks to the engine-mounted belt-integrated starter generator, storing it in the under-floor battery.
• The vehicle is available across the range of four-cylinder Ingenium petrol and diesel engines, the mild hybrid delivers CO2 emissions from as low as 149g/km and fuel economy from 50.4mpg (5.6l/100km) (based on NEDC Equivalent test procedure).
• The new Range Rover Evoque is also the first in the world to feature Ground View technology, which effectively makes the bonnet invisible by projecting camera imagery onto the upper touchscreen to show the driver a 180-degree view under the front of the vehicle. This is useful when negotiating difficult parking spaces, navigating high city centre kerbs or tackling rough terrain.
• Evoque is the first Land Rover with Smart Settings, which uses artificial intelligence algorithms to learn the driver’s preference and acts as an onboard butler. In addition to seat position, music and climate settings, Evoque can also control steering column preferences to maximise comfort.
• The famed Range Rover command driving position has jumped into the digital age, with a segment-first ‘ClearSight rear-view mirror’ that transforms into an HD video screen. If rear visibility is compromised by passengers or bulky items, the driver simply flicks a switch on the underside of the mirror and a camera feed from the top of the car displays what is behind the vehicle in crisp high definition. The screen provides a wider (50-degree) field of vision and superior visibility in low light.
• New Evoque features All-Wheel Drive, as well as a second-generation Active Driveline with Driveline Disconnect to enhance efficiency and Adaptive Dynamics to deliver the optimum balance of comfort and agility. Terrain Response 2 – technology first found on full-size Range Rover – automatically detects the surface being driven on and adjusts the set-up accordingly, while Evoque can now wade through water up to 600mm (previously 500mm).
• Apple CarPlay connects you to your smartphone, 4G WiFi hotspot connects you to the internet, while InControl Remote connects you to the vehicle
New Range Rover Evoque is available to order now and priced from £31,600* in the UK
* Price applies to 150PS diesel manual specification
Official NEDC Equivalent (NEDCeq) Fuel Consumption for the Range Rover Evoque range in mpg (l/100km): Combined 5.4 – 8.1l/100km (52.3 – 34.9mpg). CO2 Emissions 143 – 186g/km. The figures provided are NEDCeq calculated from official manufacturer's WLTP tests in accordance with EU legislation. For comparison purposes only. Real world figures may differ. CO₂ and fuel economy figures may vary according to wheel fitment and optional extras fitted
** Jaguar Land Rover’s commitment to the UK car industry continues following a £1 billion investment to support its creation and delivery. This includes £110 million into the company’s UK manufacturing plant in Halewood, Merseyside, to develop the state-of-the-art flexible manufacturing facility.
23 November 2018