10 September 2019, Frankfurt: Land Rover has globally unveiled its new Defender at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
The world premiere of the Defender was also live-streamed on Land Rover’s YouTube and Facebook channels, allowing online fans the chance to watch the launch of the world’s most iconic 4x4.
The Defender has always been a symbol of strength and the new model is the toughest and most capable Land Rover yet, combining a new body structure with world-first technologies and proven hardware to create a Defender that is fit for the 21st century.
Gerry McGovern, Chief Design Officer, Land Rover, said:
“The new Defender is respectful of its past but is not harnessed by it. This is a new Defender for a New Age. Its unique personality is accentuated by its distinctive silhouette and optimum proportions, which make it both highly desirable and seriously capable – a visually compelling 4x4 that wears its design and engineering integrity with uncompromised commitment.”
The new 4x4 is packed with the latest technologies, including the debut of the Configurable Terrain Response, which allows drivers to fine-tune the set-up of the vehicle to suit the precise off-road conditions like never before. The Terrain Response 2 system also includes a new Wade programme to provide the ultimate reassurance when driving through water by optimising all of the vehicle systems accordingly.
Racking up more than 1.2 million kilometres in its global testing programme, the car reached Frankfurt having embarked on its first expedition, crossing one of the world’s most landlocked locations, the remote Charyn Canyon in Kazakhstan. The road to reveal tested the new vehicle’s capability and durability, travelling among the towering 300m canyons in the Valley of Castles on its way to Germany.
Expected shot list is as follows:
- IV Prof Sir Ralf Speth, CEO, Jaguar Land Rover
- IV Prof Dr Gerry McGovern, Chief Design Officer, Land Rover
- IV Hanno Kirner, Executive Director, Corporate & Strategy, JLR
- IV Felix Bräutigam, Chief Commercial Officer, JLR
- IV Nick Rogers, Executive Director - Product Engineering, JLR
- IV Julia Bradbury, TV Presenter & Host
- GVs Global Reveal of New Land Rover Defender
- GVs Jaguar Land Rover Press Conference
- GVs Jaguar at the Frankfurt Motor Show
- GVs Land Rover at the Frankfurt Motor Show