The UAE Breaks the Guinness World Record for the Largest Ever Aerial Projection Screen
- The new record set by wasl Asset Management Group commemorates the Founding Father of the UAE 100 years after his birth
- A 300-foot aerial projection screen — the equivalent of the length of an NFL pitch — soared over Dubai’s skyline
- World record attempt beat the previous world record by 50 feet
As the UAE celebrates the 100th anniversary of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the nation’s Founding Father, one of Dubai’s leading real estate companies has broken yet another Guinness World Record in the city with the world’s largest aerial projection screen.
The record-breaking effort, which was set by wasl Asset Management Group in partnership with Remarkable Media, saw a 300-foot video screen soar across Dubai’s iconic skyline towed by a Bell Huey 212 helicopter.
A second Bell 212 projected the video onto the screen, using a combination of augmented reality tracking and live projection mapping.
The screen could be viewed from 3 kilometres away and was watched by a crowd of onlookers as it made its triumphant journey across the Emirate of Dubai.
Paying tribute to the late Founding Father, the gigantic screen displayed a short film about the UAE’s ‘Year of Zayed’, which is a nationwide initiative that celebrates the life and values of the late Sheikh Zayed who served as the President of the UAE for 33 years and was the driving force behind the union of the seven emirates on 2nd December 1971.
The world’s largest aerial projection screen record was previously held by MTV Networks for a 250-foot projection over New York’s Hudson River, which was almost as wide as the Statue of Liberty is tall. Last night’s projection flew into the Guinness Book of World Records when it beat the previous record by 50 feet.
The screen was 30 feet wider than the height of Big Ben, 50 feet wider than the Dubai Frame, and almost 200 feet wider than the vertical drop at Niagara Falls.
A Guinness World Records’ representative handed over the certificate to His Excellency Hesham Abdulla Al Qassim, CEO of wasl Asset Management Group.
The Guinness World Record is based on the current Total projection area: 22,193 sq/ft. (2061.8 m2)
wasl and Remarkable Media’ Total banner size will be: 26,148 sq/ft (2429 m2)
HD Broadcast quality B-Roll (some mute)
The footage is broadcast rights cleared for all territories and will include:
1. GVs: World’s Largest Aerial Projection Helecopter Flight
2. GVs: Preperations for World’s Largest Aerial Projection
3. GVs: Crowd reactions on the night
4. Soundbites: Kevin Southam, Official Adjudicator, Guinness World Records
5. Soundbites: Ryan Osbourne, Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer, Remarkable Media (who were behind the world record
6. Soundbites: His Excellency Hesham Abdulla Al Qassim, CEO of wasl Asset Management Group
8. Sizzle Reel (1.30)