GETTING TIRED JUST GOT HARDER
ASICS GLIDERIDE SHOE HAS ARRIVED TO MAKE RUNNING LONGER, EASIER
· ASICS increases the pace in pioneering new energy saving shoes with latest innovation: GLIDERIDE™ - scientifically proven to reduce energy loss1
· The latest introduction to ASICS’ energy saving family follows the sellout debut of the METARIDE™ shoe at the Tokyo marathon earlier this year
· ASICS invited runners to put the science to the test in new race format that invited them to compete against themselves in world first run without a finish line – which saw 71% of runners run further than predicted. 2.
[SEPTEMBER 11, 2019 – KOBE, JAPAN] –
This Friday, ASICS launches the eagerly awaited GLIDERIDE™ shoe that is set to make running easier for more runners. Its groundbreaking GUIDESOLE™ technology, first introduced on the METARIDE™ concept show, will now be available for even more runners.
To demonstrate what energy saving really means, ASICS put the theory to the test in a unique race on the Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah. The race, designed by an expert team of sports scientists, ASICS RUNKEEPER™ data analysts, elite coaches and engineers saw 22 runners of different abilities from around the world put the latest technology and theory in running performance to the test. Participants explored how energy saving
technology can assist them in improving performance in the ultimate battle against themselves in a race without a finish line. The results demonstrated that 71% of runners participating ran further than predicted. 3 [WATCH HERE]
AN ENERGY REVOLUTION
The human-centric GUIDESOLE™ technology is an ergonomic precision-shaped curved sole that reduces energy loss. It works by minimizing lower leg movement through the stride - giving a feeling of effortless coasting - to make it easier for runners to keep going for longer.
Increasing the accessibility of the GUIDESOLE™ technology was the inspiration behind the new shoe. Engineered by a team of scientific experts and designers at ASICS Institute of Sport Science (ISS), the development of GLIDERIDE™ was fast-tracked to get the new technology to more runners as quickly as possible.
The result? The new GLIDERIDE™ has taken the category-leading GUIDESOLE™ technology a further step forward. Whilst providing maximum energy saving, it is lighter, with a less extreme curve and more cushioning than the concept shoe - increased comfort.
In tests, GLIDERIDE™ has been scientifically proven to:
· Reduce total energy loss at the ankle joint, where runners expend the most energy
· Improve cushioning for increased comfort
· Reduce weight while maintaining stability to provide both performance and protection
Kenichi Harano, Executive Officer and Senior General Manager at ISS, said:
“We effectively took our research lab from Kobe to the Salt Flats to understand directly from runners how they can benefit from our energy saving technology in a real-life situation,” commented Harano. “What we learnt proves the importance of optimizing energy and will fuel our next generation technologies beyond footwear.”
British 10,000m Olympic Medallist and Former World Champion, Liz McColgan, said: “Testing the shoe on the Salt Flats in Bonneville was like being on another planet. When you are mentally and physically at your limit the GLIDERIDE shoe takes over and does what you can’t. The curved sole carries you forward when energy levels are low and provides the momentum to keep going. I was amazed I’d been running for over 4 hours in my mind it felt like 2 hours.”
Wayne Bridge, former Premier League and England International, said: “It was tough, mentally tough. Running against myself to test the shoe and my own limits was something I’ve never experienced. Running for 90 minutes on the pitch is hard enough but this was harder, the combination of the run format and new shoe put my fitness to the test, but made me realise what I’m capable of achieving.”
Andrew East, professional American Footballer most recently with the Washington Redskins, said, “Running without a finish line was extremely challenging and difficult. I feel like there are three components of running: muscular, cardiovascular, and mental. The way this race was structured equalized everyone’s muscle and cardio components so it was just the mental aspect and that was just a really cool challenge. As a guy who weighs 230lbs, the new GLIDERIDE shoes really helped me save energy so that I could run much further than I was expecting.”
GLIDERIDE™ footwear will be available for men and women from ASICS retail and online stores as well as specialist running outlets globally from 27 September 2019. Visit www.ASICS.com for more information.
GLIDERIDE™ features the following proprietary technologies:
1. GUIDESOLE™ TECHNOLOGY: curved midsole construction helps minimize movement in the area where most energy is expended; the ankle joint and allows
runners to go further, easier and longer. The lower 5mm drop supports the unique rolling movement and feeling of effortless forward motion.
2. FYTEFOAM™ MIDSOLE TECHNOLOGY: durable midsole providing cushioning and maintaining lightweight, with FLYTFOAM™ Propel technology underneath enhancing responsiveness.
3. REARFOOT GEL™ TECHNOLOGY: cushioning under the heel reduces shock when the foot meets the ground.
4. AHARPLUS™ OUTSOLE: high abrasion rubber on the sole provides durability
5. ENGINEERED MESH UPPER: comfortable upper with reinforcements enhances support and breathability.